On 01 Jun 2016, at 00:45, Gian-Carlo Pascutto <g...@sjeng.org> wrote:

> On 31-05-16 22:56, David Ongaro wrote:
>> Isn't e.g. TensorFlow Apache 2.0 license and would allow its
>> inclusion in commercial products?
>
> TensorFlow relies on CuDNN for good GPU performance. Almost all
> libraries do, because CuDNN is hand optimized by NVIDIA, and hence
> rather hard to beat.

Ok, the CuDNN license might not be as convenient as the Apache 2.0 license, but
to quote from
https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/accelerate-machine-learning-cudnn-deep-neural-network-library/:

> Note that the cuDNN license allows you to install and use as many copies of
> the software as you need, for both individual and corporate use.  This
> intentionally permissive license is designed to allow cuDNN to be useful in
> conjunction with open-source frameworks.

So it seems nvidia got out of his way to make cuDNN useable for commercial
purposes without imposing extra license costs.

>> I might overestimating it, but on the other hand I guess a Professor
>> like Rémi has much more obligations other then writing Go Software.
>> So anything which could save time helps.
>
> I don't really want to answer in Remi's place, but I think he's working
> fulltime on Go now. His page states:
>
> "In the *past*, I was Associate Professor of Computer Science..."

I see, it must be great to be able to just focus on Computer Go these days… But
I still would argue that Rémi probably shouldn't waste his time in reinventing
the wheel.

David O.