2011/1/28 Álvaro Begué <alvaro.be...@gmail.com>

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Don Dailey <dailey....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't understand your objection, Don. The side that is winning will
> at some point determine that the probability of winning the game is
> large enough (say, more than 80%) and it will propose doubling. At
> that point the losing side can resign and lose 1 point; resigning
> later (after accepting the doubling) costs 2 points.
>
> Álvaro.

Well I have an objection. Example you gave person offering the double
already made a mistake. If one starts working with the cube, then it is
needs to be done well. Optimal doubling point is when chance of winning is
exactly 75%, then for the opponent it is indifferent whether he accept of
rejects. And erring in direction doubling too late is far more serious than
doubling too eraly. Also erring to direction of resigning instead of playing
is usually far bigger mistake. So if a winds of war will make situation
clear after next encounter, then the correct moment to double just before
it. 55% chance of winning maybe enough in some cases,depends of how likely
is the re-double. Term used used for this is volatility. Bigger the
volatility smaller is the edge ususally required to double.

And if there is no re-double 50%+epsilon is good enough to double and
optimal is still as close to 75% you can get.

So why we would introduce new set of skills to bve programmed into a game
where it makes no sense? And when done optimally it will not shorten the
games too often as correctly offered double should be accepted.

Petri