The problem is that you can still play the game out until there is just one
or two moves left and then resign.    So for this work it has to be done at
some reasonable point in the game and who is to decide when that should be?
No, you either concede immediately, or you continue to play for twice the price.

I think it's a very reasonable system to abort games that are a clear
win. But I'm not sure it's appropriate for computer programs that have
no objection to playing out a clearly won game.

Mark

In backgammon, the doubling dice are actually the main element of skill in the game.
That sounds crazy, because it has such a gambling feel to it, but its true.
Its because even a mediocre player can muddle his way through the roll of the dice, but only a strong player can judge well what his current chances are. The basic idea is that you need a 25% chance to win to be able to accept the double. Because at 25% the expected value of accepting((2 - 3*2)/4) is the same as of declining(-1).
That should be a warning for go though.
The best things happen there when one side has to "do something".
You wouldn't want to see a resignation when there is even a 1% chance of turning things around.

Stefan