Paula,

Did you repair permissions before and after installing the update? Did you run Yasu first? Did you back up your drives?

I've found that MacFixit is one of the best resources for troubleshooting Macs. Also, I rarely apply an update before searching for possible conflicts and problems first. I haven't updated from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 yet; this version works perfectly well. I don't like to add software, even security updates, without waiting for error reports, http://macfixit.com/, http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070423093555664.

Yes you can clear the PRAM [or whatever it's called on new Macs] without worrying.

The hardware didn't break did it? I almost wish mine would so I could justify buying another new Mac. I keep downloading the nightly builds for Mozilla which claims, "...Mozilla might crash on startup. It might delete all your files and cause your computer to burst into flames..." but all I get is new software bugs.

Betty

Macs last a long time. They don't break, generally.

Yeah, well,maybe.  Unless Apple breaks it for you. I updated my iMac
G5 with the latest security updates and now EVERYTHING that needs to
be transferred to or from it via USB connection (memory cards,
podcasts from itunes to iPod, backups to ext. drives) takes HOURS  to
transfer and one backup drive doesn't even mount. Visits to the
discussion groups at Apple haven't helped.  Only one person with
suggestions....reinstall the 10.9 combo updater.....has offered help
and it didn't work.  He now suggests clearing the PRAM???? but I'm
worried about doing it and finding that it won't boot at all.  It
will take me days at this rate to back everything up since just one
MS of pics can take 6-8 hrs to transfer.  I've been putting the pics
on my MacBook Pro and transferring over the network and that works
fine but it's extra steps......and doens't solve the problem of
updating the iPod since all my music, tv and podcasts are on the
iMac.

Needless to say, I won't be applying those security updates to my
laptop.

Shades of Bill Gates!