Did you repair permissions before and after installing the update? Did you run Yasu first? Did you back up your drives?

Not before but after reinstalling the 10.9 update I repaired permissions. Not after installing those security "fixes" tho. I have most stuff backed up. It will take hours or days to back up any further to the external drives since anything going thru USB is a drop at a time. But I think I can back up over my network to my laptop so will do that next.

I've found that MacFixit is one of the best resources for troubleshooting Macs. Also, I rarely apply an update before searching for possible conflicts and problems first. I haven't updated from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 yet; this version works perfectly well. I don't like to add software, even security updates, without waiting for error reports, http://macfixit.com/, http://www.macfixit.com/article.php? story=20070423093555664.
Yea....I usually do that too. But, was in a hurry and having never had a problem with updates, I just did it. Won't make that mistake again.

Yes you can clear the PRAM [or whatever it's called on new Macs] without worrying.
I don't think that will make a difference but I'll try it.

The hardware didn't break did it?

No. I moved the card readers to my laptop and they work just fine. So does my iPod. I guess if I can't get this machine to work again for this type of stuff I'll have to start downloading all my podcasts to my laptop. But tv shows that I get are set to this machine and I can't move them.
I almost wish mine would so I could justify buying another new Mac. I keep downloading the nightly builds for Mozilla which claims, "...Mozilla might crash on startup. It might delete all your files and cause your computer to burst into flames..." but all I get is new software bugs.

Betty

When I decide it's time for a new one.....and IF I can afford it .....I see if one of my kids or a friend is interested in the one being retired. Right now my husband is trying soooo hard to rationalize buying a macbook for himself. His Toshiba laptop works fine except it suddenly stopped connecting to the network. He doesn't really need it to connect but.....he's thinking it might be a good enough excuse to buy that macbook. <g>

Paula
IN/USA
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Have a wonderful day!