From just what I've heard, AT$T had to make no changes.  The things apple
touted such as being able to listen to any msg in any order is possible on
any network, they simply don't let you do it.  One possible outcome however
is that other carriers will start enabling some features to keep customers
happy when they start calling with 'i can do it on AT$T' type complaints.

One other phone that was released recently to rave reviews was the helio
ocean, smaller price, pda phone running symbian, a tried and true phone os.
The phone is marketed to students mostly, limited minutes on call plans but
all plans unlimited text, sms, mms, and internet access...also has true
built in GPS.

Mike