Apparently the SATA external have the USB bridge as a bottleneck
as does FW 400 (1394a?).   I guess the alternative to eSata would
be SAS but I assume the expense is considerably greater.

----- Original Message ----
From: db <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Sent: Friday, August 3, 2007 1:08:08 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] swap drives

Not all external drives have fans. Metal Gear Box ones (IDE & SATA
models & combo models) are nice, inexpensive and do not.

eSATA drives are rare and have a different connector than SATA ... you
have to have the card with the eSATA connector and a eSATA cable.  Most
external SATA drives are USB2 or 1394 firewire...