duh... sorry ... I missed the fact that you were talking about swappable drive trays/ bays ... not external drives.

I would think that a eSata drive trays/ bay would be the way to go

I myself would be interested in recommendations for particular brands.

On my home Dell Precision workstation with a DVD reader and a DVD burner occupying the only two available bays, there are no extra bays for trays so I guess I would have to have an external box like drobo etc...

Besides drobo, does anyone recommend some other external drive bay/ tray boxes? It's kind of a specialized niche ... I see them listed online but have no personal experience with them and usually with such hardware, the "devil is in the details..."

ps: ... I also have an added wrinkle... the two SATA drives on my computer are running in RAID 1 (mirrored) off of the Dell MB's onboard RAID controller.

I too would like to be able to boot to Linux by changing drive trays etc

I haven't looked but am I'm guessing since this a WIN box the RAID is probably hooked to the BIOS settings etc and changing drives might pose BIOS config problems unless I also purchased an external RAID controller ....

?

db

db wrote:
Not all external drives have fans. Metal Gear Box ones (IDE & SATA models & combo models) are nice, inexpensive and do not.

eSATA drives are rare and have a different connector than SATA ... you have to have the card with the eSATA connector and a eSATA cable. Most external SATA drives are USB2 or 1394 firewire...