Thanks, Sue, for the additional info.

"I would guess, in your case, that an applicant's street address might be required?" Yes.

I have decided to use a different email address and experiment with the different ways to join, and then issue explicit instructions about the entire process.

Alvin

At 10:30 PM 08/29/2007 -0400, John DeCarlo wrote
Sue,

I am pretty sure there is no way in Yahoo groups to directly add people.

At the very bottom of the invite page, click on "Add members from an existing email list". You can just add one member if you like, or several--there is a top limit but I've forgotten how many. This is kinda hidden, as it easy to abuse such a function. I direct-add people who just can't seem to figure out how to get themselves on the list. I *do* make them try, though. Moderators of family lists often direct-add the old aunties. :)

I prefer to steer them through joining from the web site. If they do not already have a YahooID and password, Yahoo walks them through all that automatically. Saves a lot of hassle the first time they want to view photos or files (which you can't do without a YahooID).

This is the message that I send out to blind email requests to join:

Click on the button that says:  Join This Group!

Please give your reasons for wanting to join this group, plus your name and general location.

I like your suggested work around of inviting people who you see in the
email request queue.  You can put in a note that this is part of your double
opt-in approach <g>.

I'd guess 80% of applicants put enough info in the original application to satisfy me that they are not spammers. The ones who don't, I contact privately. I do not send invites in these circumstances...I save their initial request and approve that if and when I hear back from them. If you send an invite, they can join immediately without sending any info. This might work fine for you, though, if you know all of your potential members.

I would guess, in your case, that an applicant's street address might be required? In my case, on my international list, I simply ask for "general location" (country, area, etc), and find that people don't resist so much if you don't ask for actual address. On my closed list (which involves volunteers in the family court), I am provided a list of those who qualify from the head of the organization, and I will send invites to those folks. This is simply a courtesy, as list membership is required in the organization. I *could* direct-add them.

The *purpose* of email lists should be the deciding factor as to how you control (or don't) memberships.

Sue