>This is paranoia; turn on the XP firewall and you can go online and d/l the
>updates just fine...
>If you are behind a home router, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Some people will tell you with confidence that you can walk barefoot on
hot coals. I say: let them do it. Call me paranoid if it makes you feel
good.

If you have a hardware firewall and you are sure that it has everything
properly locked down and you don't do anything else but go straight to
Windows update and you said your prayers, you should be able to pull this
off. Be quick about going for those updates.

>But again, this is a lot of work and time just to avoid using the current
>OS.  Vista won't scare the horses in the street nor lose the war for the
>allies.  It just wants a LOT of hardware to work its mojo properly.

Now you know why MS is so confident about future Vista sales.

You may be better off following Windows user's favorite activity:
succumb. You know that eventually they will make it impossible for you to
stay with XP. Might as well do it now. Just make sure the PC you buy has
all the right specs.

Getting all the drivers you need for an XP install is not going to be a
picnic either. So your XP driver problems may turn out to be as bad as
they would be for Vista.