D Freye
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:37:23 -0400, "Chris Dunford"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>> <You know that eventually they will make it impossible for
>> you to stay with XP

>     How can Vista be any good if it takes more hardware to
> run that XP?  I would bet that most programs will run much
> faster in XP. I have a 133mh Win98se machine just back from
> the shop and an almost new Acer 2gh XP  machine.

This is an apples and oranges comparison.  Win98SE is based on
Win3.1/DOS, WinXP/Vista is based on Win2K.  MS stuck lots of
stuff they probably shouldn't have in the WinXP/Vista kernel
(like video drivers, etc.) that probably should have remained
outside.  Outside because of orthogonality & security, inside
because of gamers demands for performance.  If there weren't
drivers in the kernel, you wouldn't have as many drivers
crashing windows.  They would access the kernel through API's
(at least that is my understanding).

My understanding is that WinXP had another, optional, mode
where drivers (?and applications?) had to be signed.  Vista
removed the optional feature of this.  MS has been saying
that before, etc.  I have to wonder why Dell & HP didn't do a
much better job of producing systems that would actual run
much better than they do with Vista.

>  The 98 machine takes a really long time to boot and a
> moderate time to shut down. However, several programs start
> faster on the 98 machine and do simple tasks much faster
> than the XP machine! Bloat,bloat,bloat or simply M$.
> Be at Peace.

Yup, there is lots of bloat in MS.  From what I understand
the biggest feature for Vista is a piece of eye candy called
Aero (I understand you shouldn't try to run it on anything
less than a _real_ fast machine).  The improved security is
also much better, but I don't know that that by itself is
worth the price of admission to move from WinXP to Vista.

--
Take care  | This clown speaks for himself, his job doesn't
Wayne D.   | supply this, at least not directly