>Comcast is cutting off customers who use too much bandwidth. Only, they
>won't tell you how much is too much, nor will they tell you how to monitor
>your bandwidth use.
>www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/06/AR2007090602545.html

It is disingenuous for Comcast to claim that bits per month usage is a
problem for other customers. It is the distribution of bits over time
that causes the problem. A constant trickle of bits all month long will
add up to a high bits per month, but will not significantly impact other
customers. On the other hand if you transfer a lot of bits in a short
period of time it will suck up capacity in a way that can deny it to
other customers.

The Comcast spokesperson said downloading 1000 songs per day would be
excessive. So about 1000 x 4MB = 4 GB/day would get you into trouble.

So lets say you want to run a web cam: 640 x 480 = 300K/frame x 12
frames/minute = 3.6 MB/minute x 1440 minutes/day = 5.3 GB/day. That makes
you an abuser.

If you backup your computer over the internet and then have a drive crash
so you have to retrieve your backed up data, that will make you an
abuser. Being a serious Netflix customer could put you in peril too. Tivo
and AppleTV could cause problems as will the new iPod with WiFi.

I think this takes us back to the network neutrality issue. This is a
back door way of achieving the same result. As customers start to use the
cool Internet services that are starting to be advertised, Comcast will
label them abusers and demand more money. This is just an excuse to raise
prices in an unjustified way.

Bandwith is cheap and getting cleaper. The companies that make the
equipment to cram more bits into existing wires are having a tough time
because the telecommunications providers are not buying their stuff. They
say they have "too much" bandwith already. So which is it?

This is oligopoly logic. It would not happen if the US had competition in
telecommunications. This shows that it is once again time to enforce the
anti-trust laws. Split Comcast and the others up.

P.S. Anyone advertising "unlimited" bandwith is prima facie guilty of
consumer fraud. Comcast management ought to be thrown into a dark deep
dungeon for an unlimited period of time.