On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Chris Dunford wrote:
Google is now doing the same thing with their video distribution
service which includes Youtube.

Says who? It is much more likely that it is your ISP doing it. I can't
imagine Youtube having any financial incentive to throttle in this manner.

I read the same thing about YouTube a few days ago, can't remember where. Whether it's true or not, I have no idea.

There could be technical reasons. Operating systems contain internal
tables with entities called "sockets" (this may be the same table,
or a similar table to the one for open files). Each open network
connection (from a particular YouTube server to a particular client)
uses up an entry in this table. The table size is determined by
available memory and a few other factors. If a bunch of people with
dial-up connections tried downloading, they would each be using up
entries in this table, and for a longer period of time. Some servers
may be set to limit this amount of time simply to prevent Denial Of
Service (DOS) attacks, or just to make more "efficient" use of server
resources.

I don't know that this is what's happening, this is just my guess.

--
Vicky Staubly       http://www.steeds.com/vicky/        [EMAIL PROTECTED]