You can own a bicycle. You can own a refrigerator. You can own a computer. However you can only license the code that makes the computer do things for you--you don't own someone else's intellectual property.

The problem isn't ownership, it's the contract--and piracy. Contracts need to be simpler and more straight-forward, and more end-user friendly. As for piracy of expensive software, developers need to create a way that license-holders can use locked-down software without calling the mothership for approval to reinstall.

Adobe CS costs $900-1200 with student versions around half that price. More expensive software like ArchiCad only runs with a dongle to unlock it. I'm not recommending that Adobe do this, but there are ways to make software easier to reinstall while reducing piracy.

Amen, Tony.  Ever since the CS series made its debut,
I've had nothing but trouble remounting photoshop
when, for example, I changed the motherboard on my
powerbook, or when I've added new hardware. CS2
doesn't play nice, disables, and it's back to Adobe to
ask permission. Photoshop7 never was a problem.

I guess we owe this wonderful experience to the
routine pirating of former years.

Chad Wyatt