Here are some articles that came out last year on Mac backup software.
This article
<http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/03/05/the-state-of-backup-and- cloning-tools-under-mac-os-x/>
primarily explores the issues in Mac backup software, but does take a
look at basic copying tools, while this article,
<http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/04/23/mac-backup-software-harmful/>
did a comparison and rating of every piece of Mac backup software that I had
ever heard of (and some that I hadn't until then).

The latter article rates Retrospect "avoid at all costs", Carbon Copy Cloner (version 2) is "not recommended", and Super Duper is "Highly recommended".

I've used each of these, and I agree with the first and last rankings, but
would say that Carbon Copy Cloner (version 2, I have no experience yet
with the just released version 3) was OK. My primary issues with Carbon Copy
Cloner was that the boot drives it made were slow to be recognized, and
you could not use it with the early updates of OS X 10.4 without a tedious
workaround.

SuperDuper! supposedly preserves all the metadata file attributes, while
the others miss things of varying importance. It has always worked for me, and the thing I like best about it is that the paid version has a "smart copy" feature, which updates a previous clone by only modifying the files that have changed since the last backup. This is so much faster than completely cloning
the drive all over again.

I would be very interested in hearing anyone's experience with the new version of Carbon Copy Cloner. In particular, the announcement page says that it can do a block copy of one drive onto another one, and that "synchronization is built in, not tacked on", which may mean that it now better preserves metadata and can do
incremental updates the way SuperDuper! can.

David