My 60GB 4G iPod has been exhibiting increasingly strange behavior. I
had  thought the nearly 2 yo device was failing but, after viewing
pages on iLounge and on the Apple forums, I am beginning to suspect
that recent iTunes updates may be breaking the older units ... or
maybe it's just a coincidence .... hmmmm?

YMMV

--
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
up where I needed to be."