>And you're going to be right there with her to teach her to use this?  Or
>maybe kick in the extra $500 over the cost of a PC?

The price of crappy PCs has crept up as companies like Dell have found
that they can't be profitable at their former prices. And I was not
suggesting you get the cheapest Mac either. I was suggesting the model
that is most likely to be successful. The iMac 20" is $1200.

Your description of the computer user did not suggest that a crappy PC
would be acceptable. Many people do not want to turn a corner of their
home into something resembling Dr. Frankenstein's lab. A computer that
looks intimidating is likely to be a computer that does not get used.

The Mac OS has VNC built in. To do that with Vi$$$ta you will need to buy
a more expensive version. That would be a waste of money.

>I would be her only "teacher", and I know absolutely nothing about a
>Mac.  I can do the necessary updates and sort out the messes on a PC.

I don't think ignorance is an acceptable defense. What if her doctor did
not prescribe an important new treatment because keeping up with medical
advances was too much trouble? You have a fiduciary responsibility to
make the best selection for her, not for you.

Instead of taking upon yourself the responsibility to "sort out the
messes" why not get a computer that won't have the messes? You can then
direct your efforts to the real challenge: teaching her how to use the
computer.

>She is not an adventurous type of person.

Sounds like a Mac owner.

>Her big hangup has been that she doesn't know how to type.

Tell her that many computer users do not know how to type. We hunt and
peck. Over time we hunt less and peck more.

>Considering all of this, I think she'd be safest with a cable connection
behind a firewall

Depends on what is more reliable in her area. I think DSL is usually more
reliable.

>all desktop icons hidden except for a word processor, "My Documents", Firefox
and a
>stand-alone email icon.

What does she need a word processor for? What does she need an email
program for? Keep it simple. Set her up with Gmail. If she must print out
a letter she can type it in Gmail and print from there. I would have the
computer automatically launch FireFox and make the home page Gmail. Put
some icons at the bookmarks toolbar for the other things she needs. Keep
it simple.

>Anything more than that, and she will throw her hands in the air and
>be done.

Exactly my point.