Jeff,
There are two arguments that mitigate against the Friedmann pov. One using
1970 economics and one using 2007 economics.

The "morality" of maximizing profits is based on the idea that markets
do certain things efficiently and so promoting the freedom of business people,
entrepreneurs and corporations creates a productive win-win situation where
everyone benefits and freedom for business (and maybe for everyone else,
thought that is a much harder argument to sustain).

If the market transactions don't make an optimal use of economic/social
resources then the whole argument becomes questionable (except for
libertarians who believe that any exercise of governmental power is inherently
problematic - not exactly a widely shared belief though one shared by
the editors of Reason).

So is "the market" efficient?
1970 answer. Yes, but not when there is market failure. I.e. Not in the
case where monopoly or externalities.  Something that has been recognized
for a long time (since the 80's anyway) is that even markets that are not
technically monopolies still act like monopolies, i.e. they keep there prices
higher than if there was a truly competitive situation. This is called
oligopoly,
and many, many market in the economy appear to have price behavior
that appears oligopolistic. I could explain why, but the point is that it
happens.

2007 answer.  Some nobel prize winning economists have argued and their
view are pretty mainstream, even if debated, that the availability (or rather
the
lack of availability) of information robs consumers of the ability to push the
market
through price competition to its ideal efficiency. The so-called information
assymmetry economist argue that this problem of not enough information is
the rule rather than the exception.

Beyond the point of whether the markets are efficient, maximizing profits in
the real world means corporations lobby and constantly try to change the
rules of the game in their favor.  They try to change laws about finance, taxes,
regulation etc.  They actually like to make markets less competitive when
they hold a dominant position in them.  The also compete not through prices
or even through quality but through marketing and advertising (which to some
extent is the information asymmetry raising its ugly head).

And beyond
that there is problem that managers have never, ever acted solely in the
interests
of owners but usually in their own interests as well, even when that involves
an inordinate of risk in the long-term (whereas managers interests are
notoriously
short term).

I think you could find intellectual honest, economically literate conservatives
who would argue that Gates is a threat to free market and capitalism in general.
-Paul

Jeff Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: This is an excellent read on the
subject.  Tom, don't let the big words or
conflicting interpretations of moral imperatives spook you.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/32239.html

Checkout One Laptop Per Child project laptop.org