Someone tried to break into our house last week so I have been
researching this and other security stuff recently. There are many
options.

There are several brands of camera that have a built-in computer and web
server. This would be a simple unit that each homeowner could get
independently, but it could be managed centrally via the Internet. To
keep it simple I suggest that everyone get the same unit.

I'm currently experimenting with the Panasonic BL-C1A. It costs $85. It
is small (about 5x5x2 inches square with the lens on the 5x5 side) and
not ugly (color is white). It does not look like a security camera. It
has a very clever bracket that makes it easy to mount and aim.

The BL-C1A plugs into power and an Ethernet jack (the BL-C20A uses WiFi).
The camera is managed entirely via Web browser so it can be managed
remotely. (Panasonic says it is Windows/IE only, but that is completely
untrue.) It includes a dynamic DNS service (free) so each camera can be
set up to have a URL (http://nnnnnn.viewnetcam.com). Using the URL the
camera can be accessed from anywhere even if the homeowners' have dynamic
IPs. The BL-C1A's camera can be monitored live via the Web browser. You
need to enter a password to access the camera. It has a motion detector
that works well that can trigger actions. Actions include sending emails
(like to a shared Gmail account) or uploading pictures to an FTP server.

I think the whole Panasonic package is well thought out from the
standpoint of doing a useful job. They got the big picture right. The
camera is not just a piece of technology that you then have to figure out
how to integrate. I was happy to find that all the pieces I expected I
would need to add were already there.

Only negative on the BL-C1A is that it is an indoor camera. It would have
to be set up in a window pointing out. (Outdoor cameras would cost a lot
more.) I am considering using it with an outside mirror for better
aiming, but I have not yet tried that yet.

The big trick for you will be working through all the technical details
(like why a dynamic DNS service is important). This list should be able
to give you a lot of help.