Paul -

Agonising over fps is what the marketing guys want you to do, right up there
with obssesing about fake megapixel ratings.  Get yourself to a store, try the
D40, if you like it, buy it.  The D70 is yesterday's great camera, not today's.

Check this for more:  http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

DSLR shutter lag is negligible; however, only the high-end digital cameras come
up to the response of mechanical cameras.  If you make your rent money
shooting, you will notice even infinitesimal lag; if not, probably not.  There
is no practical difference between 3fps and 2.5fps.

Chad