This is a common misconception based on AVG trying to (understandably) drive
people to their paid version.  You can still d/l and use the new, free
version at the same website as ever:  free.grisosft.com

> After reading this thread, wondering if AVG might be what is slowing
> down my
> browsing, mainly on FireFox, but probably also some on IE?

I haven't noticed anything like that.  The new version inserts security
"ratings" after every Google search result, but it's as quick as ever.