Yes, that is frustrating. I think it's because Google thinks everyone does web mail, or they want everyone to use apps on the web instead of on their computers.

Jordan

Ralph wrote:
I use two gmail accounts - one I download to my computer via pop
access, and the other I leave online.  The latter I use for email
subscriptions, like the computerguys.  I like the way gmail collates
messages by subject line.

There is one thing I don't like about gmail, but I hesitate to mention
it because I've never heard anyone else say they had the same problem.
 I like to BCC myself on messages I originate.  Gmail apparently
recognizes the mail is to myself, and doesn't send it.  The only
reason I can figure it does this is because it automatically puts a
copy in my online "Sent" folder.  The problems is that I don't get a
copy back to download to my computer.  (I get around this by
addressing the BCC copy to another non-gmail account of mine, which
does get downloaded to my computer.)