The one thing that lead you astray was [when I compare the cheapest Mac
to the cheapest HP] - you are allowing HP to set the  standard for
cheapest components.

The author deliberately took the time to upgrade either configuration to
par, so he was comparing apples to apples.  Your "200 bucks" was from
comparing apples to oranges.  You are chasing the bottom pricing.  That
is not comparing fairly or honestly.

Thank you,

Mark Snyder