Rosenberg, Alan [USA] wrote:

Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:11:01 -0700

My vintage 2002 Dell Dimension 4600 desktop (XP Home) has had a power supply issue for a while. The power switch on the tower case is a momentary pushbutton, not a toggle switch. In the past couple of months, if I turn off power at the surge protector, it takes a while (minutes to quite a few minutes) for pressing the power on push button to actually get the system to start up. Just recently, a new problem has been added. After turning off the system through a Windows shutdown, it appears that the system is trying to start up again on its own, without my pushing the power button. However, the start up aborts after flashing the keyboard lights and trying to power up the hard drive. This action cycles repeatedly every few seconds unless I remove power entirely from the tower. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any power management software accessible to the user that might relate? Thanks, Alan

I just saw this same sort of thing this week, where the startup process was undependable and intermittent. We put in a new power supply ($25), and so far it has solved the problem. FWIW

Richard P.