Same for the monopolies that exist in cable and telco broadband that allow them to set rates based on whatever they can get away with instead of letting the market determine rates with competition, or providing quality broadband service [and choice] without gouging the customers, as it is today. Of course businesses exist to provide products and services at a profit, but without competition and subisidies, most tend to take advantage of that position at the expense of the customers.

Betty, I would like to agree with you.  But it takes investment to
do this.

I would like you to read these articles in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/technology/19fios.html?_r=2&ref=business&oref=slogin&oref=slogin.

This one is pretty pessimistic but it has a lot of truth in it.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/a-bear-speaks-why-verizons-pricey-fios-bet-wont-pay-off/index.html?ref=technology

I think "more successful than expected" says it all.

I am not a financial analyst but I know how to bet on whether the
toast falls on the floor butter side up or butter side down.