>I think, a service like this will give you a false sense of security
>since you will be using this VPN tunnel to get to, in this case,
>hotspotvpn.com's network, but traffic beyond that is unencrypted and
>on regular the internet.

No, it provides the security that was asked for.

This use of a VPN secures the over the air part of the transaction. Once
the transaction clears the over the air segment it is on the regular,
wired Internet and no less secure than and other transaction over the
wired Internet.

You are seeking something that was not requested. That just muddies the
waters.