One of the ways the audio and the video can get out of sync is because the
video is fed directly to the screen while the audio is routed through a home
theater receiver (or the equivalent), for example. Better HTR's may have
audio delay circuitry the user can invoke to try re-sync the two. I have not
had personal experience with noticeable delays in my setup. Note also that
the d**n cable boxes and the cablecos themselves are not immune from blame
on these matters either.

YMMV