Remember there are like 7-8 types of RAIDs these days. I really can't
remember now what the OP eventually decided on.

 The RAID controller itself adds a whole separate layer of complexity
to controlling a disk, regardless if it's hard or soft. Don't forget -
while RAIDs are rebuilding, they can be subject to total data loss if
a second drive fails. Not so unlikely if it's age or a power surge
that took out the first one.