So then how do you correct soft errors?  You seem to have a soft fetish...I
want to protect both, you don't seem to feel the need to protect the
hardware side.  Hence why you keep talking about mtbf.

Are not we better off trying to do our best protecting all types of errors?
If I hire a IT manager I don't want just him relying on what he's seen, but
what is true.  I had a manager at a grocery store I used to work at order ad
based on what he liked and not what the buying habits were for the area.
That seems to be the way you work out data protection schemes.  All your
problems are soft related, I've seen more hardware related.  I would choose
to try and protect both, you ignore one.