-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Guys Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rev. Stewart
Marshall
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:04 PM
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Comcast puts on the brakes

It is my understanding that the local municipality negotiates
contracts with the cable companies and they have to meet specific
goals and or marks to keep the franchise.

I know locally Charter just about lost their franchise when the local
municipality had their accounts audited and it turned out Charter had
shorted them a number of years in a row, plus there were some other
marks that had not been met, plus local unhappiness with Charter.

Local municipalities hold the franchise in their hands and if enough
local pressure is applied they can get terms changed and/or companies
changed.  It all depends on how the franchise agreement is written.

Like locally all non profits must pay to have any of their activities
advertised on the local access channel.  Most of the municipalities
in our area do not charge non-profits to advertise, but then again
they are not Charter.