I got mildly lost a couple of weeks ago, a phone call to my
sister (lives in the area) provided no real help (rush hour
and construction).  I use the term mildly lost in, I knew
where I was approximately but not precisely how to get where
I wanted to go.  I was also looking to get a car but was
reluctant to spend $1,000-1,500 for an integrated GPS in the
car since a top of the line portable GPS is ~$1,000.

Last weekend I went shopping for a GPS and tried one out in
Circuit City.  I was in southern Maryland (Waldorf) and
picked out an address in Annapolis.  It generated a route
that took US 301 to US 3 to MD 450 to the final destination.
This is at least 6 miles longer than taking US 301 to US 50,
which is a little longer than US 301 to MD 214 (MD 450 is
a two lane road, US 50 is 4 lanes and goes across the Bay
Bridge).  The other GPS receivers didn't seem to get a
signal, there didn't seem to be a lot of sales help there,
so I left.  Yesterday I went to a Best Buy, repeated the
experiment and the units there couldn't find the satellites.
Of course not, they're in a big steel building!

So is there any advice out there about what to get and what
to avoid?  I go on trips typically once or twice a year where
this would be useful, so I don't see this as being big on
features, but it shouldn't be stupid either.

--
Take care  | This clown speaks for himself, his job doesn't
Wayne D.   | supply this, at least not directly