Well there is an interesting question for discussion. Is it wise to decide that you are smarter than your telecom provider and replace their head end equipment with your own?

That would be too expensive.  The head end is on the cable
company's side.  If I had a DSL gateway or any other edge
device that failed more than once, yes, I'd look for a more
reliable alternative.

I'm sure Eric can provide us with some wisdom in this regard.

All I know about cable is what I see on TV.