Besides Yagi, a few of the big companies (linksys, Dlink etc.) sell outside mounted, antenna access points for situations such as yours.

There is also the possibility of using a couple of wireless repeaters between the house and other building. One in the garage (which simply must be plugged in and synced with house) and another within the building.

At one time there were amplifiers (I think) that could be used to amplify a wired signal. You simply plugged in the cable to one end and another cable to the next and gave it power and it amplified the signal for long distance.

Stewart

At 04:37 PM 11/17/2008, you wrote:
>> That's another possibility.  But which ones *really* work?  There's
>> lots and lots of antennas out there and they're trying to avoid
>> buying one of everything on the market.  Most of what we've seen in
>> the various computer stores are the smaller antennas to boost signal
>> strength across the house and not across the great expanses of the
>> outside world.

>   Yeah, well, you are not going top find such directional antennas at
>your local Best Buy store.

Really? Best Buy isn't the answer to all my computer needs? I'm shocked to hear that.

>They are generally available from a number
>of sites on the internet.  These are high gain antennas of the yagi,
>dish and planar design.  As the 802.11n system provides for both 2.4
>and 5 GHz operation, either of those options are available.

>   Some folks build their own.  See this site for a bit of info on
>detection ranges available with such highly directional antennas.

AAIIEE!! I can't stand the suspense!  What's the site????

Larry

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ozark, AL  SL 82