NO! Every method we have mentioned is a three figure solution (Those Yagi Antennas can be quite expensive.)

Check out the site Tom sent you. It allows you to do it over the existing phone line that connects the two.

Networking is not cheap!!!!!!

Stewart

At 07:15 PM 11/17/2008, you wrote:
$500 a pair? I already know the next question that I'll get ... is there a lower budget solution?

They just shelled out several thousand to get their driveway paved over (apparently the gravel driveway was no longer acceptable) so their budget is somewhat limited.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Guys Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Piwowar
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 4:59 PM
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Network wiring

>At one time there were amplifiers (I think) that could be used to
>amplify a wired signal.  You simply plugged in the cable to one end
>and another cable to the next and gave it power and it amplified the
>signal for long distance.

Yes, this is what I would look at first. It would be higher speed and
probably be more relable than wireless. You put a box at either end of
the straight copper pair and connect each box to the LAN at each
location. Such boxes are called "Ethernet Copper Extenders" and cost
about $500 a pair.

see www.ethernetextender.com for one example

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]