That is in a nutshell what the problem is.

However there is also another problem:

Delaying the mandatory switch is going to cost TV stations millions of dollars as they will continue to have to double transmit. (many have been ramping up for this and have had two transmitters running, expensive) Also the bandwidth that the police and emergency departments have been waiting for will not be freed up.

So they enter in to realm many of us find ourselves in all the time.

Damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

Stewart