You probably shouldn't really need to install a driver at all in
WinXP. Though, there may be some special hardware features (e.g. an
instant scan button) that would require proprietary software.

So, just uninstall Presto and use something else. Or leave it
installed and use something else. Maybe I'm just not understanding the
dilemma.