Thanks for all the input.
The problems I have experienced are of little or no consequence so far. I was just tinkering with router security to gain a better understanding of it. Now it seems likely that the problem was not with the router at all. If indeed the problem is totally with gmail, it is still of little consequence, since it is isolated to a short period of time on 2 days. Yesterday when I had the problem, I went to a gmail help page and there was a message apologizing and explaining the problem. I'll see if there is a problem again today.

Thanks again.