At 01:19 PM 3/1/2009, Tom Piwowar wrote:
>Question: If you use an 8.3 file name, refraining from using a longer
>name, will these applications be able to access the file? In other words
>do these applications need some special sauce in their filenames or will
>they work if you simply refrain from using longer names?

The real problem I have with running legacy DOS apps on a Windows machine is
those applications that "talk to" only MDA and CGA video, i.e., were never
upgraded to VGA video (or I don't like the other changes that were made to the
app when it was upgraded to "talk to" VGA video.  DOSBox is the only
application/shell I've found that solves this problem for me.  It doesn't solve
the problem of printing to a DOS printer (which is all a DOS app will do), but
I've Googled apps that promise to do that (create that interface).  Since my
DOS machine is still working, I haven't yet paid the cost for one of these apps
and tried it.

Fred Holmes