> Well, if she started out her quest [for a laptop] with a set of
> inflexible requirements that the real world might not be able to
> meet--including parts of the real world like computer stores--she's
> limited her options and determined the outcome of her shopping trip
> before she's even started.
>
> It's like saying, "I want a flawless one-carat stone, but I require
> that the ring should cost no more than $100."  Guess what?  You're
> getting cubic zirconia!

Constance, wanting a laptop for under $1,000 is neither unreasonable nor
impossible. The parts of the real world that are unable to meet her
requirements are not "computer stores" but "Apple stores".

As to cubic zirconia, the analogy doesn't hold because, your personal
opinion of it notwithstanding, her HP is not a fake computer.