Yes it is an "honor virus" but if you are installing software you expect that it will be asking for your admin password. So if you install anything where you are not sure of its origins you can get into big trouble.

I wonder if in the long term this has very negative impact on shareware and freeware utilities. A lot of great midnight programmers and small companies are going to get buried.

I use a lot of shareware and freeware. I pay for most of it, at least the ones I like and keep. You have to be stupid to download something like iWork when you can get a free 30 day copy at the Apple site and either delete a few files to get another 30 days, find a serial number or pay for it--it's fairly inexpensive.

I don't think it will affect shareware and freeware, especially from "safe" sites. I don't worry when I download apps from Sourceforge or Versiontracker, or utilities from software companies like BareBones, Unsanity or Freeverse, etc. If my Mac gets bitten by some bug, I have backups, don't you?

When you get a movie torrent, you don't have to run as admin or root to view it. With an app torrent, especially a major expensive commercial app, they're daring you to take a chance. It's not worth the risk, yet it's tempting.

Betty