T-Mobile prepaid has two levels.  Regular level has the balance expire
after 3 months from the last time you added to the balance.  You get
gold level after you put $100 (total) onto the balance, and the
balance won't expire for a year.  We put $100 on, and the balance
expired after 3 months on each of our phones, despite everyone
agreeing that we did have gold level.

In one case, they just put the money back on.  In the second case, we
had gotten a message on the phone warning us ahead of time, and
finally were directed to someone who was able to figure out how to fix
the expiration.