On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Tom Piwowar <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> Take him to an Apple store. Check the schedule for the free classes they
> hold there. Get info on the one-on-one training (see posts here on that).
> Show him the Genius bar. Ask one of the store staff to explain Apple's
> support program. Show him a MacMini and note that you can get them for as
> little as $450 at Amazon.com ($499 at the Apple Online Store). Show him
> an iMac 20" (I just bought a new one for $850 through an Amazon
> affiliated dealer).

  I have ordered, from the Apple Store, a refurbed Mac mini for this
fellow as his first computer.  He has been convinced that he does not
have to have the same kind of computer that, as he put is, "everyone
else has."  The Mac mini was $419 and I also ordered from Apple a nice
Canon printer, the iP4800, which will be free courtesy of an Apple
rebate offer.  Free shipping on everything as well.  I have a nice
monitor, as well as a mouse and keyboard laying around that will
complete his system.

  I think he will be happy, and will hopefully be able to avoid a lot
of the issues that he obviously feared from all that he has been
hearing about from cohorts of his about viruses, spybots, malware,
setup issues, etc., all things that he has heard about that caused him
to think that he would need an army of support if he had a computer.

  Steve