You should do the general routine maintenance on the computer in case it is a file corruption or permissions problem (Before you start you should backup your data just in case the situation gets worse) . To look for/ fix file corruption, run Disk Utility which is on your startup disk and in the Utilities folder of your computer.

Other people on this list can probably give you better guidance on other maintenance routines and tools (but they will want to know what Ver: OS X) but here is some "how to" URL's

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2005041817191411

db

Julie Kubal wrote:
Well, after all that talk about choosing a new Mac Book Pro, I started getting some scary error messages on my old PowerBook G4 (which is still my only computer). Several applications just crashed and when I tried to relaunch them, I got a pop-up message "Application Launch Failure: The application "Photoshop" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "'<application><application><CarbonLib><>". This didn't just happen for Photoshop but for several other applications as well. Apps like Mail and Firefox still seem to be able to launch.

I found some tutorials online to try to fix the problem that will be a big pain in the a**. Just wondering if anyone has further insight. Is this the beginning of the demise of my PowerBook?

Thanks,
-Julie