On May 26, 2009, at 9:25 PM, mike wrote:
I feel often as if I'm asking for advice on buying a nice family car only
from those who buy jaguars and bmws.

You keep beating the drum for that tired old M$ Laptop Hunters propaganda. As previously posted...

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display     2GB memory
80GB 4200-rpm PATA hard drive
Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Built-in iSight Camera
        $999.00
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB003LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

Even cheepo Lauren could have bought this one.

So Woot was selling eeePCs for $159, but that would be like setting $159 afire.