On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Art Clemons<artclem...@aol.com> wrote:

> It's a good bet that most broadcasters didn't want ATSC, it's an
> additional expense and new transmitters had to be bought or
> alternatively expensive alterations to existing ones had to be made.

  To the best of my knowledge, broadcasters who choose not to use all
of their alloted bandwidth for thier own purposes can lease out their
unused bandwidth to commercial interests.  This can be a lucrative
revenue stream for broadcasters.  Broadcasters can probably make more
money from leasing unused bandwidth than they can make by using that
bandwidth themselves for broadcasting purposes.  Every aspect of the
switch to NTSC is all about the money.

  Steve