OK, thanks for the confirmation! I've been kind of busy since this morning and was afraid to shut it down or let it go to sleep.

TPiwowar wrote:
On Aug 23, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Jordan wrote:
I think I had tried that at one point last night, but in any case, it didn't start it just now when I did it.

That suggests that it is probably not a hard drive problem.

I don't know if I dreamed it up or read it somewhere but I just held down the start button until the light on the front started flashing, then it let out a long beeep and started!

Good. I think that reset the power management unit. That definitely could have caused the problem you describe.

I used Disk Utility to verify the internal disk and the external firewire disk and they both check out fine. I had a feeling this was a logic problem, or something other than hard drive.

Good.

Please suggest what next steps to take to find out what went wrong. What hardware tests? What logs to read?

You are done. Nothing more to check. Nothing more to do. It is unlikely you will see this problem again.