Precision in language and proofing of writing are often useful, I've found.
It's not the day, but the date.
And, yes, you can already display the month and date by means of the pull down
menu in Leopard.

OK, so this is not of interest to you guys, but in Leopard, and I believe in
Tiger, you've been able to display the day and month in the menu bar using the
settings found in System Preferences-International-Formats for some time. You
might have to mess with it to figure it out. But it works.