> (I have a theory about the ask-for-directions issue, by the way: Most of the
> time, we don't think we're actually lost. Whatever we're looking for is just
> over the next hill or around the next bend,
> and, if not, our sense of direction will find it eventually. Women's
> navigation does not work this way, as has been demonstrated in controlled
> experiments. Most women rely primarily on landmarks, not
> on a sense of direction.)

I can remember getting directions to look for a certain fast food chain
right after a Catholic school.  After the 5th turnoff to try that on
Route 30, I got out my maps and figured out that I had about 20 more
miles to go.  When I got to where I had make my turn, there was no Fast
Food option and the Parochial school had been turned into a warehouse.
Enough times suffering through things like that, and you learn not to
ever ask for directions.  GPS units have other flaws, like telling you
to bear left when there is a fork in the road, and it apparently is
misreading the need to continue on the right fork and then turning left.

If I am asked for directions I always try to give landmarks, mileage and
the names of the two streets before having to turn left or right.  My
technique at least cuts down on turning off because the landmark is too
generic.