The accuracy of the data is IMPORTANT. On the way to BurningMan one year, my friend's GPS steered us over a Nevada Mt. in the middle of the night, very accurately ... what wasn't accurate was the it said it was a paved road. It started out paved but ended up a logging road for most of the way. We crawled along at 5 mph, sometimes walking in front of the truck, through the washouts By the time we realized the extent of the situation, we couldn't even turn the truck around so we went forward and viola ... we made it. But it shouldn't have steered us to a logging road... the paved road data was inaccurate...

My instincts a long way back were we were being steered wrong but my friend who owned the GPS was adamant about following the GPS...

db

Eric S. Sande wrote:
Ask just about any woman.

Heh.  I'll take the map and the compass every time.  I'm not in
any sort of a competition, and I do have a handheld GPS device,
although I rarely carry it on my bicycle.

I must say I've gotten a lot of unintelligible and just plain wrong
directions, some even bizarre, on occasion.  But my GPS does
not talk, it's the kind that says, "You Are Here."

A friend of mine was on his way to Tierra del Fuego from Fairfax
County, VA.  On a motorcycle with a GPS.  He got lost in the
Atacama Desert, which isn't exactly good.  He said later, "I knew
exactly where I was, but I didn't know which way to go."

Hence the map and compass.  My GPS does have a mapping
function, which is as accurate as its map is.  Which is pretty
accurate, for CONUS.  But I don't trust it implicitly, all maps contain
errrors.  Google maps are good, but not realtime.

But a basic knowledge of astronomy, an accurate timepiece and
a compass are all that is really required for navigation.  Maps are nice,
GPS is nice.  But these are just in the "nice things to have" category.

As far as the relationship issues are concerned, it is important to
value input into the process.  What we are trying to do here is get
someplace.  Women tend, I think, to value cooperation more than
men.  They value collaborative solutions, and that is good.  A
consensus value is more important than an absolute.

Men want certainty,  regardless of the consensus.  If the consensus
is perceived as wrong, and a certainty is available, a man will take
it (it may be wrong too, but it's a basis for action).  That I think may
be why men are perceived by women as reluctant to ask for
directions.

And why they value a thing like GPS, because it depends on a
certainty, position, but not a context, a map.  The only problem is
the reliability of the map, which some appear to take for granted
but which cannot be assumed.