> No, you don't. The single payer plan, which is an option. No where
> have I seen it written or said by it's proponents that it would be
> required of everyone.

Jeff, that IS the single defining component of single payer.  NO ONE else is
paying other than the guvmint, which is kinda the point of *single* payer.

Here, let me google that for you.

"Single-payer health care insurance is a public service financing the
delivery of near-universal or universal health care to a given population as
defined by age, citizenship, residency, or any other demographic.

Single-payer health insurance operates by arranging the payment of services
to doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers from a single source
established and managed by government"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-payer_health_care

First hit, for 'single payer.'